Sunday, March 20, 2011

Late Introduction


This intro should have come at the beginning :) but I'm new to blogging and still learning. I've been having problems with my audio at the live meetings and I haven't properly introduced myself to the group.

I’m an acupuncturist in the Philippines. For 3 years, I’ve practiced in Manila, the capital city, and formed partnerships with patients, organizations and institutions. I work with a group (Yarrow, Inc.) that promotes integrative health therapies and practices. Aside from offering health services, we provide self-care tips to patients. Occasionally, I’m invited to lecture on acupuncture and Chinese nutrition.

Recently, I’ve moved outside of Manila but would like to maintain contact with Yarrow and our partners in Manila. Yarrow has started a nutrition program and has several other projects on the drawing board. While these are still being developed, I would need to frequently contact Yarrow members. One of the projects we are planning is an acupuncture course and we expect participants to come from different parts of the country.   I’m searching for non-traditional ways of communicating and the internet appears to be the most practical solution. Being an archipelago, traveling back and forth is expensive and time-consuming (Some of our partner organizations are outside of Manila). Communicating via internet is a cheaper alternative and we can access more people all at once.

I searched the internet and found the Facilitating Online course, which fit my needs. This will help me learn how to get online and keep in touch with others. Blogging is new to me and going through this course will help me practice. So far, I have learned the different applications used for online communications.

No comments:

Post a Comment