Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Expectations to Online Facilitation


New technologies have opened up alternatives to the traditional forms of teaching. In our situation, participation in classes was limited because of conflicts in schedule, distance of the learning center and cost. I live in an area made up of islands and travelling can be daunting. In addition, participants would have to spend a lot for board and lodging. Computers and the internet have made it possible for people to connect despite the distances. Using computers and the internet has these advantages:
  • ·        Schedule can be flexible
  • ·        People can be available even if they’re not there physically
  • ·        Saves people time from having to commute or travel to distance areas
In this online course, I’d like to learn the different techniques and software applications needed to connect people online. I need to choose one that is simple to use especially for participants that have little exposure to computers. In line with this, I would like to learn how to develop teaching materials appropriate for online lessons. At present, I use Skype, Yahoo Messenger to connect with people on an individual basis. The most I’ve done for group interaction is group chatting on Yahoo Messenger. I now realize there’s much more out there that I haven’t tapped. Finally, I would like to practice using these other applications during this course.

In order to achieve these goals, I would have to get more exposure to the different platforms used for online learning. This course has already introduced me to several which I plan to test and evaluate. In order to get participants to my own online course, I need to encourage others to try this system of learning and learn more about the technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment